Important information for all Horse Pens 40 competitors!
Please read thoroughly!
The competition is scheduled for Saturday, November 21, 2015.
If you are a registered Horse Pens 40 competitor, there is no camping fee for Saturday night. Triple Crown and Horse Pens 40 have you covered.
However, anyone planning to come/camp on Friday must cover the cost of camping for Friday night. If you come on Friday, please go directly to the Horse Pens 40 store upon arrival to complete your camping registration and pay the fee for Friday night.
***There are several hotel options in nearby Gadsden, but we encourage everyone to support Horse Pens 40 by camping there on Friday/Saturday!
It will be a ton of fun!
Spectators are welcome to attend this event. The price for spectators is $20/person paid directly to Horse Pens 40. However, spectators will not be allowed to climb on the day of the event.
Under 18 competitors
If you are under 18 years old and a parent/guardian is not accompanying you to the event, you must download the Horse Pens 40 waiver and have a parent fill it out. You must then bring it with you to the check-in at Horse Pens on the day of the competition. See our website for more information.
No dogs are allowed at Horse Pens 40! Please be respectful of the land-owners and leave your animals at home!
There is ample parking at the campground/boulderfield. However, please carpool when possible. You must park outside the gate. Look for signage and volunteers showing you where to park.
Free beer (21+) Saturday night
Help us reduce our waste! Please bring a container.
***If you do not have a container there will be cups for sale for $1. Please bring a container!
******No glass is allowed at Horse Pens 40! Please make sure your container is shatterproof!
Important note: early competitor packet pick-up begins at 5:00 pm CST on Friday November 21 (afternoon/evening before the comp). Pre-registration will end at 6:30 pm CST. Competitors will be able to pick up their competition packet and t-shirt at this time. This will give everyone a chance to look at the competition map, and it will speed up the “process” on Saturday morning (more climbing time!).
We’ll also have vintage event tees for sale!
The morning of the event (Saturday, November 22) you will need to be at Horse Pens 40 no later than 8:00 am to check-in. We will not accept registrations after 9:00 am. Check-in will take place outside the gate entrance to the park on Saturday morning. Remember we are on central standard time.
Marmot is the presenting sponsor for the 2015 Triple Crown!
Drop by the Marmot booth to pick up a raffle ticket for some fantastic Marmot gear! Proceeds from the raffle tickets will benefit the Southeastern Climbers’ Coalition! Marmot was one of the founding sponsors of the Triple Crown! Without their ongoing support, this event would not be possible. Come by the booth, score a chance at a great prize and let these guys know how much you appreciate their support of the Triple Crown and your climbing access!
Other points of interest
- Make sure to check out www.triplecrownbouldering.org and our Triple Crown facebook page for up-to-date information, articles, and great pictures from each of the competition venues in our galleries.
- You will be given one free t-shirt the morning of the event (or at pre-registration) as supply allows. There will also be some “old school tees” from years past for sale!
- There will be concessions/food available for purchase throughout the event--so bring cash.
- All climbers are responsible for their own camping/hotel arrangements on Friday. We encourage folks to camp at HP-40 on Friday (and Saturday)—please visit the HP-40 website for details/cost of camping.
- A spectator armband is $20 per person and covers spectators from anytime Saturday until sundown Sunday. If your armband is lost, a new one must be purchased in order to remain in the park. Spectators cannot climb.
- Dinner will be available for purchase from food vendors and the Horse Pens 40 restaurant—the cost will vary depending on the meal that you choose.
- There will be an SCC raffle after the competition. Sign up and take a chance on walking away with even more booty, and support "the cause" at the same time.
- There will also be an opportunity to join the Southeastern Climbers' Coalition yearly membership is just $25. Make it your goal to become proactive this year. See the SCC website for more information at www.seclimbers.org.
- The American Alpine Club will once again be sponsoring a pad stack competition (5:00 Saturday). All you need to enter is a crash pad and $5. Lots of sweet prizes including a new pad! Proceeds benefit the American Alpine Club.
- The awards ceremony will begin immediately after dinner. There will be tons of door prizes! So if you didn't do so good at the comp don't miss it. You could still win big!
This event will be a ton of fun. We hope everyone has a safe trip and that you find your visit with us to be a good and memorable one.
Keep checking the website for updates as well. New photos and competition results will be posted on the Triple Crown website shortly after the event.
Horse Pens 40 is located in Steele, Alabama. See the official Horse Pens 40 website www.hp40.com for complete directions to and information about the boulderfield/campground.